August 15, 2009

Woozy Waggies: Big pieces into little pieces

At the mill, “make big pieces into little pieces” was the standard response to anyone who asked what we did. Thankfully, these big pieces are a lot easier to handle than slabs of Sitka spruce.

I'll start by transferring the Scotty's pattern pieces onto pattern tracing cloth.

Tracing cloth is great stuff -- it’s like a lightweight interfacing, sheer enough to see through yet far sturdier than tissue. Even though this reproduction pattern is printed on actual paper, I’m using the tracing cloth to preserve the pattern and because pinning and cutting through paper is a pain.
With that done, it's time to hunt through my fabric stash. Since this is just a test run, a muslin Scotty if you will, I shouldn't much care what the fabric is. But of course, I do. After rejecting patterns (no gingham dogs this time), denims (too denim-y), twill (why the hell do I have Lurex stretch twill?), some brown stuff (brown), and about 3,000 pounds of other pieces, I finally settle on a lightweight red denim. It's a nice big piece, 2 1/2 yards of 60" fabric. (What was I thinking? I don't even wear red!) The pattern calls for 1/3 yard of fabric, so I rip a generous foot, iron (I prewash fabric as soon as it comes home), and am ready to go.
Six of the 10 pieces are cut on the bias. Bleh. As I ponder how best to do this, my eyes fall on my big grid ruler, that -- Yes! -- has 45 degree markings. Sigh of relief. By placing a grid line parallel to the selvedge, laying the pieces on the bias is a piece of cake.

Chalk lines drawn parallel to the selvedge serve as a reference point for the next pieces.

Just a couple pins to hold each piece in place until I'm sure the layout is correct, then voila!

Done!

Next: Under the needle

No comments: